Current:Home > ScamsEchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center|Key Bridge cleanup crews begin removing containers from Dali cargo ship -Capitatum
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center|Key Bridge cleanup crews begin removing containers from Dali cargo ship
Charles H. Sloan View
Date:2025-04-06 11:26:59
Salvage crews on EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank CenterSunday began removing containers aboard the Dali cargo ship, which has been stuck in the Baltimore Harbor since it crashed into and collapsed the Francis Scott Key Bridge last month, marking a crucial step in the main channel's reopening.
Crews removed containers from the Dali "as part of the effort to gain access to the portion of the Key Bridge that lies atop the ship," the Key Bridge Response Unified Command said in a statement Sunday. The removal of the containers will continue throughout the week as weather permits.
Removing the containers will help safely move the Dali from the wreckage site and allow for safe access to then remove sections of the bridge across the ship’s bow, according to the Key Bridge Response Unified Command.
Temporary alternate channels have been established since the bridge's collapse on March 26, when the Dali lost power and rammed into a support column of the bridge causing it to plunge into the Patapsco River. In total, 32 vessels have passed through temporary channels, the Key Bridge Response Unified Command said.
"The Unified Command is concurrently progressing on its main lines of effort to remove enough debris to open the channel to larger commercial traffic, refloat the M/V Dali and continue recovery efforts for missing loved ones," said U.S. Coast Guard Capt. David O’Connell in a statement. "Every day we are working to achieve these goals safely and efficiently."
On Thursday, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers announced that it plans to open a new channel in the Port of Baltimore by the end of April and restore port access to full capacity by the end of May. Lt. Gen. Scott A. Spellmon, the commanding general for the USACE, said the timeline could change due to weather conditions and the state of the wreckage.
"We are working quickly and safely to clear the channel and restore full service at this port that is so vital to the nation," Spellmon said. "At the same time, we continue to keep faith with the families of the missing and are working with our partners to help locate and recover their loved ones.”
Authorities are continuing efforts to recover the bodies of the six construction workers who died in the collapse. Rescuers had pulled out two additional workers, but the six were presumed dead after an hours-long search.
So far, the bodies of Maynor Suazo Sandoval, 38, Dorlian Castillo Cabrera, 26, and Alejandro Hernandez Fuentes, 35, have been recovered from the river, authorities said. The three others are still missing.
Contributing: Cybele Mayes-Osterman, USA TODAY; Reuters
veryGood! (5733)
Related
- Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
- Trump’s EPA Starts Process for Replacing Clean Power Plan
- Arctic Report Card 2019: Extreme Ice Loss, Dying Species as Global Warming Worsens
- Exxon Reports on Climate Risk and Sees Almost None
- Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
- Journalists: Apply Now for the InsideClimate News Mountain West Environmental Reporting Workshop
- Your First Look at E!'s Black Pop: Celebrating the Power of Black Culture
- Economy Would Gain Two Million New Jobs in Low-Carbon Transition, Study Says
- South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
- SolarCity Aims to Power Nation’s Smaller Businesses
Ranking
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Wealthy Nations Are Eating Their Way Past the Paris Agreement’s Climate Targets
- North Carolina's governor vetoed a 12-week abortion ban, setting up an override fight
- Offshore Drilling Plan Under Fire: Zinke May Have Violated Law, Senator Says
- 'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
- Fossil Fuel Subsidies Top $450 Billion Annually, Study Says
- Hospitals create police forces to stem growing violence against staff
- Hospitals create police forces to stem growing violence against staff
Recommendation
Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
Our bodies respond differently to food. A new study aims to find out how
Study Links Short-Term Air Pollution Exposure to Hospitalizations for Growing List of Health Problems
How Boulder Taxed its Way to a Climate-Friendlier Future
The Louvre will be renovated and the 'Mona Lisa' will have her own room
Rules allow transgender woman at Wyoming chapter, and a court can't interfere, sorority says
Seniors got COVID tests they didn't order in Medicare scam. Could more fraud follow?
Mama June Reveals What's Next for Alana Honey Boo Boo Thompson After High School Graduation